Did you know that the ADA or American Dental Association highly recommends that you floss your teeth daily in order to maintain healthy gums? Flossing is considered to be part of a good oral hygiene plan. For the best results, find a flossing product that you like and include it in your dental care routine every day.
What Types of Flossing Products Are Available?
Dental floss is sold in a variety of flavors, primarily mint and cinnamon. It is available in both waxed and unwaxed versions. In addition to these standard spools of dental floss that most people purchase, several other options are available for those individuals who need alternatives.
Holding dental floss in between the fingers in order to reach inside of the mouth is difficult for small children as well as for people who have arthritis. A device known as a dental flosser is a great option since it is easy to hold and use. More expensive versions of dental flossers are available including ones that offer a vibrating action to massage he gums while flossing.
How to Floss
Although flossing isn’t a difficult or time-consuming process, many people avoid doing it. However, it is important to flow your teeth at least once daily in order to help keep your gums healthy while also preventing cavities from forming. If you want to floss your teeth properly, complete these steps:
- Tear off a length of dental floss that will be long enough to use. An eighteen-inch length is probably good enough.
- Wrap each of the ends of the dental floss around an index finger on both of your hands.
- Hold the floss tightly between your fingers and thumbs.
- Insert the floss gently in between two of your teeth. It is important not to damage the gums by flossing roughly, so use caution each time you do so.
- Move the floss back gently, rubbing the teeth on both sides of the floss. Be sure to reach beneath the gum line as well.
- Keep repeating this process using a new portion of the dental floss each time in order not to spread bacteria from one tooth to the next.
Latest News & Updates
Smiles Today Dental | Las Vegas Dentist Proudly Serving Summerlin, Spring Valley, Paradise, and North Las Vegas. Looking for a cosmetic dentist in las vegas? Are you yearning for a solution to discolored, chipped, or missing teeth? Look no further, as the wonders of...
Understanding Gum Line Recession: Definition and causes of gum line recession:Gum line recession refers to the gradual wearing away of the gum tissue that surrounds and protects the teeth, leading to exposure of the tooth roots. The main causes include aggressive...
Maintaining healthy gums is essential for your overall oral health and general well-being. By understanding the basics of gum disease, recognizing its signs, and adopting preventive measures, you can protect your smile and enjoy the benefits of a healthy mouth. At...
Get In Touch
Monday – Thursday: 9am – 5pm
Friday: 9am – 5pm
Saturday: 8am – 3pm